AbsoluteGamerzNetwork
Absolute Gamerz

Ideas for a medieval theme

Forum: AvP Universe
Everything that makes up the worlds of Aliens, Marines and Predators.
Topic: Ideas for a medieval theme
Total Posts: 25

Seikken53

im trying to write a medieval one.. hopefully, this'll be my first completed book, and i need some more ideas.. i have alot.. i just want to know what everyone wants

Seikken53

err a medieval novel!!

TheBlackCat

I could use more info. Such as what part of the medieval period, what part of society are the characters (a complete main character list would help), is there magic, what is the conflict, what is the country, what part of the country is it, are there mythical creatures and if so which ones, what is the general plot, what is the villain's motivation, is there any romantic relationships, what sort of weapons and technology are you planning one using, are other countries involved in the plot and if so which ones, what is the geography, what important buildings and locations are there, is religion going to play any part (I would assume you would be dealing with catholicism, if the novel takes place in europe), are there any real animals involved, is there heraldry involved, and are family relationships involved? I really cannot help much with the information you have given so far. Is the book supposed to have aliens and/or predators or is it completely unrelated to the alien and predator universe?

Seikken53

Goodie! now i can rant about it! .... but if i do some1 might steal it .... hmm choices... well to make it short, yes there is magic, there was a war, but it's over, now a new one is going on, there a mythical creatures, gryphons and wyverns... and elves! (2 kinds both at war) and an evil guy... his motivation is revenge over those that humiliated him before he won the last war.. that about is all i'll tell 4 now

Seikken53

the predator alien thing could be added, but i think t would ruin it... but whatever the public wants

Seikken53

ok.. now.. after thinking about all your questions i have an answer for all, yes there is going to be a lil romance... (note IF i get this done.. only if some interest is shown will i even work on it) yes there is a religion, different, but there is... no it is not in europe, but on a totally different world... (nameless atm) there is royalty (i beleive that is what heraldy means) here is a list of main characters i have names for, all inspired by my friends family... and my dog

Karelendias = big bad guy... really mean! tortures elves and makes orcs out of em (ill explain that later)

Gantheos = a good guy, he's an elf... leader of the 50th archery divsion of the first Gryphon army.

thats all for now.. the otheres remain nameless for the moment.. if anyone is interested post on here pls!

TheBlackCat

If you really serious, may I recommend The Writers Complete Fantasy Reference. You should be able to check it out from a local library, I glanced through it and it looked pretty useful. May I also reccomend The Encyclopedia of Things That Never Were for tons of info on all sort of mythical things from all over the world. Interesting if you want "realistic" monsters, magic, spells, etc. A local library might also have that one. They can get you in the mindset and give you background info on the times. A Field Guide to Demons, Fairies, Fallen Angels, and Other Subversive Spirits has info on evil things, another useful book if you are looking for monsters. You may want to skim Giants, Monsters, and Dragons: An Encyclopedia of Folklore, Legend, and Myth which has info on tons of mythical creatures, but they are alphabetical so you basically have to know what you are looking for or just skim and look for creatures with cool-sounding names and see if they would make a good creature for the novel. None of these are probably worth buying unless you are really into that sort of thing. I own The Encyclopedia of Things That Never Were, Giants, Monsters, and Dragons, and A Field Guide to Demons, Fairies, Fallen Angels, and Other Subversive Spirits, they are great books but you really have to be into mythical creatures, items, and places to appreciate them. But they would probably prove invaluable if you checked them out from the library and read them and took a few notes.

I like mythical creatures so I would use a lot of those, but you might not like them as much as I do. Remember to balance the two sides, the problem with my novel is coming up with something original and powerful enough to fight my character at the end, who has grown really powerful by then. You might want to make your main character the son of somebody famous, so he has the problem of trying to live up to everyone's expectations, or the son of someone who was disgraced, so he has to prove himself to everyone who looks down on him. Its an easy way to make the main character brooding and emotional. Perhaps one side of the elf war should come across a powerful artifact that they plan on using, which causes all sorts of conflicts as the side that has it tries to keep it, and the side that doesn't tries to get it. Perhaps the bad guy could have given it to them so the two sides would destroy each other and he could move in and take over, or he is secretly playing the sides against each other so he can steal the artifact and use it himself. That is everything I can come up with given the information you provided.

One more thing: please do research on how every creature actually behaved in legends, as one of the main thing that really annoys me is when someone completely misuses a creature and gets its whole behavior wrong. Same goes for artifacts, lands, and just general myths. That sort of thing really annoys me. I will not even watch disney's Hercules. Hades was not the devil, he was not evil!!!!

I also would agree that putting in aliens and predators would be a bad idea, and might even prevent it from getting published.

[ This message was edited by: TheBlackCat on 2002-09-04 23:44 ]

Dark_Predator

I attempted to write one, the first 2 chapters are posted in gamestory, look up dark planet, personaly, i dont recomend attempting

Seikken53

i read it dark.. not too shabby, but i already have a monster manual (and a slightly photographic memeory) and i ONLY read fantasty novels whos knows?

TheBlackCat

What monster manual? Just curious.

I know what you are talking about, I also have a semi-photographic memory.

I tend to read more science fiction myself, but I mostly read non-fictions. The book I am going to write will have fantasy aspects and science fiction aspects, but not at the same time. Some parts of the novel will take place in a fantasy setting and have magic and swords and stuff, and some will take place in science fiction settings with big guns and high-tech stuff, and other take place in a more modern setting. Some aspects will carry between them but they will be largerly serparate in the way they operate. The real problem for me is finding a way to tie them all together at the end, since the novel will take place at many different times and have many different and seemingly unconnected sub plots (and at this point, before I actually start writing, the sub-plots are unconnected except for a few characters).

Seikken53

i will only have 1 sub plot... a real evil one.. that'll freak alot of people out (if ur like me) anyway... its 2nd edition advanced, also have the dragonlance, and the first edition advanced and non, u name it i have it.... except the brand new one, unearthed arcana, have it, demons and devils, have it.... players survival guide (by one of my favorite authors, douglas Niles... who also writes dragonlance) i have many by gary gyax.... lord i looooove dnd!

TheBlackCat

Oh, RPG books. I don't know about everything but the D&D I have seen tends to be fairly inaccurate when it comes to mythical creatures, although I actually haven't done much research on it. I always go with books on monsters that are taken directly from mythology. All the books I read have info taken directly from myths and legends, not D&D or some other RPG. Just be careful if you use an RPG book foir your monster info, it might be completely off from the real myths. The books I recommended are based directly on heavy research on actual mythology, and I am sure are much more reliable. The best online creature databases (of mytholigcal creatures, not D&D creatures) is Gareth Long's Encyclopedia of Monsters, Mythical Creatures and Fabulous Beasts. It has tons of info from many sources on a lot of mythical creatures. Check it out, if you don't want to go to the library it is really the best source of info. The guy who wrote it did a lot of research, and the info it has agrees with that from the mythology books I have. Most of the pictures are actually from The Encyclopedia of Things That Never Were, but the info is more extensive than the info in that book (the book covers things besides cratures, this site does not).

Don't get defensive about D&D, I am not saying it is bad, and I am not trying to attack it or to offend you. I am trying to give an honest warning and you can do with it as you wish. Of course they had to change creatures so they would be useful in a game like that, and they had to make new creatures to fill roles they could not find existing creatures for. And they also probably had to cater to popular ideas about some creatures, which may or may not be correct, and they had to make their creatures unique, put their stamp on them. I am certainly not faulting the makers of D&D for changing creatures, I would have done the same thing, but if what I have seen represents D&D in general, then D&D is not really that reliable when it comes to actual myths. It is a unique game world, which is completely understandable and probably actually a good thing. So please do not take offense, but I would strongly recommend against using ONLY D&D material as sources for creatures in your book.

Now if you wanted to write a licensed D&D-based novel that is one thing. But if you do not, and you use D&D creatures in your novel, and the D&D creatures are very different than the creatures from the actual myth, someone will almost certainly notice and alert whoever makes D&D, and you may be sued for copyright infringement. Just something to keep in mind.

PS. If there is a web page with a list of detailed info and/or pictures of D&D creatures, could someone please post it as I am curious to look at it.

[ This message was edited by: TheBlackCat on 2002-09-05 19:26 ]

Seikken53

cool, but again, the books for DnD were taken directly from mythololgy, and were dont with real heavy research, taking about 3 years to make about half a monster manual 0_o

TheBlackCat

Alright, just wanted to make sure. Just trying to help out. Is there a website with detialed info on D&D creatures? I just curious as to what sort of creatures they chose to put in the games.

Seikken53

i dont know of one... but i did find a "drow" comic drow is a "dark elf" they are subterranian... and this explains the steriotypes and how wrong they are.. it also has a nice story goto www.drowtales.com real good stuff!

Seikken53

i started this thread for suggestions or commisions... thats not what i was looking for, but it'll do... if u want a character, and i like it... he/she e

Dark_Predator

Please listen to me i beg of you, a medevil novel will not work, i also have the DnD monster manual, and it didnt help, trust me, and i havent even been writeing lately, things have been going on and i have had no inspreation...... but still, and if anyones intrested or has IRC i oftenhost online RPG games in #AvP2-rpg.net , im trying to popularize it so it will get its on offshoot site like the main channel, please help me out here

TheBlackCat

I'm sorry Seikken53, I am not quite following you. I am trying to help as much as I can, but I do not have much info to work with. I am a lot better at embelishing and adding plot points to works I know something about then I am at giving general tips, as I have less experience in this topic than you do. That means the only tips I can offer are sources of more info, but it sounds like you are far enough along with the plot that those won't really help you. I want to be more helpful, but I have told you everything I know. I'm trying to tell you everything I know, which is next to nothing.

I don't quite know what you mean about a character.

[ This message was edited by: TheBlackCat on 2002-09-05 23:01 ]

Seikken53

thanks guys oh and dark... im much more satisfied with my medieval story then yautja boy...

NiteStalker

which reminds me, i started yuatjaboy. keep it going if you have time, its good. i cant get into gamestory at the mo (god knows why), so if youve already worked on it and finished it or sumfink, ignore this piece.

All copyrights and trademarks belong to their respective owners. This site is for the promotion of selected material, no infringements are intended. All reasonable efforts have been taken to credit the respective owners and/or authors.

AbsoluteGamerzNetwork

Cookie Policy | Privacy Policy

(US || 97167818605ae92f369f0b2315765a6b)