AbsoluteGamerzNetwork
Absolute Gamerz

is "queen" actually male?

Forum: AvP Universe
Everything that makes up the worlds of Aliens, Marines and Predators.
Topic: is "queen" actually male?
Total Posts: 17

J..here....

well.. it haves a "penis" and it laid's eggs like sperm(face hugger)...... and it makes host pregnant.....who have said that it is a female... well ur mom and ur dad gives some of their genes to you... aliens might do the same.... but this time emperyo (sorry for spelling) kills its mother or father.. or pet (doggie).. tell ur opinions...

J..here....

come on.. there is some sence in that thought.....

M.O.A.B

I can see where your going bbut it takes a while to think thro......at least it did for me

Prezes

It doesn't have to be male or female.

To me, Xenos appear to reproduce asexually....

J..here....

thats right but.... isnt quuenie kinda maleish?

Razortech Xeno ...

Theres a problem with asexual reproduction, It only produses an exact copy of the parent because there is no vereation in the genetic code and it cant change from a host because you would need a male host all the time, so you would have a hole sh@% load of Queens! The only way is threw the normal way multy celled organizims do, and you know what that is.

J..here....

well im not sure what that means in english...... cos im finish.. .but it(queen) kinda uses the hosts as the gene donators... so it is maybe assexual facehugger are almost same except queen huggers and normal huggers.. but it takes those genes from the host that the growing alien would be unic (sorry for spelling) it uses those host as other parent (if queen is male then the host would be "female" i hope that u get my point....

TheBlackCat

Well in ants the caste is not determined by genetics but by hormones and phermones. Any ant can become a queen theoretically, they just don't because there is already a queen. I would imagine it is the same with alien, drones are not significantly different genetically then queens, they just developed differently. That means asexual reproduction is still an option. Sure asexual reproductione evolves more slowly, but it also allows faster reproduction and avoids the genetic problems with inbreeding. Any small, isolated, sexually reproducing population will die off after a while due to the buildup of harmful mutation due to inbreeding. An asexual population could exist indefinitely since the mutations would not be spread throughout the population.

If a queen is male than so is every other parasitic species on the planet. There are plenty of arthropods whose larvae grow inside the bodies of other creatures, yet they can still have male and female genders. Also, in seahorses the male is the one who incubates the eggs in his body, and the live babies come out of him. However, he is still a male since the female is the one who actually creates the young, the male just houses them until they are old enough to leave. It is similar with the queen, it is irrelevant where the young aliens grow since they first arose within the queen. So I think a queen is genderless really, but is more female than male since she gives birth to the young of the species.

J..here....

well.... imagine.. that if eggsack is "genital" and face huggers are his (queen) sperm cells... and the host is pregnant but he/she/it givea birth to trough his/her/its chest... who knows....? if this opinion is correct "queen" kinda rape his victims.... their sexual behaviour its never saw... but it just pop to my mind...

Prezes

Quote:
Well in ants the caste is not determined by genetics but by hormones and phermones. Any ant can become a queen theoretically, they just don't because there is already a queen. I would imagine it is the same with alien, drones are not significantly different genetically then queens, they just developed differently. That means asexual reproduction is still an option. Sure asexual reproductione evolves more slowly, but it also allows faster reproduction and avoids the genetic problems with inbreeding.

I dont know about ants, but I know there is a species of a frog that changes sex as appropraite. Their population is mostly female, and in the absence of a male they begin to change sex. The first one to change to male then supresses the change in the others.

Yes, evolution is normaly slower, but the Xeno are perfect for what they do. Why need to evolve rapiddly then? Rappid evolution normaly occurs at moments of dissater for the population of the species. And as mention, it appears that the Xeno takes on a few genetic traits from its host. This add variety to the genepool

J..here....

Quote:
Quote:
Well in ants the caste is not determined by genetics but by hormones and phermones. Any ant can become a queen theoretically, they just don't because there is already a queen. I would imagine it is the same with alien, drones are not significantly different genetically then queens, they just developed differently. That means asexual reproduction is still an option. Sure asexual reproductione evolves more slowly, but it also allows faster reproduction and avoids the genetic problems with inbreeding.

I dont know about ants, but I know there is a species of a frog that changes sex as appropraite. Their population is mostly female, and in the absence of a male they begin to change sex. The first one to change to male then supresses the change in the others.

Yes, evolution is normaly slower, but the Xeno are perfect for what they do. Why need to evolve rapiddly then? Rappid evolution normaly occurs at moments of dissater for the population of the species. And as mention, it appears that the Xeno takes on a few genetic traits from its host. This add variety to the genepool

if xenos wouldnt take some genetic traits from the hosts they would die off cos they wouldnt get new genes..... like if lions just have one leader (male) that male would just give his genes to the childers and the ywouldnt able to have new genes and come resistance for diseases.. do u get my point?

TheBlackCat

As I said, the problem with only one male lion is inbreeding. That is not a problem in aliens because they don't breed with each other. There are perfectly healthy species that are wholly asexual, so that is obviously not impossible. It is not common, but it happens from time to time. Aliens can still evolve, beneficial mutation will likely spread through the population as more they outcompete other members of their species for resources. So it is not like aliens are fixed like they are. Also, we are assuming there is no non-sexual method for spreading genes. Bacteria often exchange genes between adult members of the population, there is a (remote) possibility that aliens might have such a mechanism, but that is pure speculation.

Razortech Xeno ...

The only real Asexual creatures are single selled organizms that just duplicat themselves over and over, multy celled animals are not capibal of that.

TheBlackCat

That's not true. There are a number of asexual multicellular creatures there are even asexual vertebrates like some amphibians, reptiles, and birds, as well as many asexual invertebrates such as echinoderms, worms, and insects. It's true that it is not common, but to say it is impossible is incorrect. Many types of multicellular fungi are asexual, also.

From encarta:
Quote:
Asexual reproduction demands less time and energy and may be the most efficient way for certain species to reproduce under harsh environmental conditions....Organisms that can reproduce asexually are particularly well suited to colonize new habitats because a single individual can establish an entire new population. This is the case in many invasive and weedy species, including many pests introduced from one region to another.

Sounds a lot like aliens, doesn't it?

Prezes

normal, sexual reproduction alows for faster evolution as the environment on THIS PLANET has shown that it's the best strategy. So many dangers and predators, the a species must evolve quickly to survive.

Why should a perfect killing species evolve???

This brings us back to apoint that Xenos might have been geneticly engeniered. At least from a species that is very similar to what we know as the Xenos.

My second point is, that most people seem to think that the exchange of genes for the offspring needs to happens when the Queen layes her eggs. But this is not a creature from this planet, so why should it?

As it's said in all the movies and books, the face hugger lays an embrio in the host. So it is safe to asume that some gene exchange hoppens there. As said above:-

Quote:

it takes those genes from the host

Da'Yeyinde

Quote:

Actually bees, ants, termites and other colony living insects are not asexual. They are born female, and as a larvae are fed honey or other types of food from Nurse/brooder types. If they are fed Royal nectar OR other similar type of food-dependent on the actual type of insect, then they will become a queen. Male insects are also created from Unfertilized eggs thus only containing half of the chromosomes that would normally be passed on. (This is for bees) this type of creation of a male bee coming from an unfertilized egg is called parthenogenesis.

In termites, after a mating flight a male and female termite will establish a new colony and ,Though these sterile worker and soldier termites are of both sexes, their reproductive development is suppressed by hormones secreted by the king and queen.
Ants on the other hand are more similar to bees in that aspect, The drone will die within 2-3 days after the mating flight. And the worker bees are infertile females.

Also most of the non-specialized ants/bees/termites -IE non males and Soldier types, perform various duties in their life cycles with in the hive. They usually start out as nurse types, then to hive cleaning and then usually end up as a gathering of food type. And the usual life cyle is only a few weeks.
Except the Queens which is 15-20 yrs.

But these are Terran based creatures. I would think with Xeno's they are probably silica based or some other crystiline base, Due to their acidic blood and their crystiline teeth.

Just my takes on the matter
Da'Yeyinde

J..here....

well.. thats interesting.. but isnt queen kinda masculine?
and one point... aliens are not similiar with earthlings......

acid blood, strenght, speed, their lifecycle and so long....it depends what host hugger hugs... we cant possible know.. and that sucks.... and i think that when someone wanted to change that "queen puts emprio right to the host" i love huggies (define word love) they aer the most captivating part of the alien world.. ok ok warriors are nice too.. but they are just so .. so... so.. disgusting...

All copyrights and trademarks belong to their respective owners. This site is for the promotion of selected material, no infringements are intended. All reasonable efforts have been taken to credit the respective owners and/or authors.

AbsoluteGamerzNetwork

Cookie Policy | Privacy Policy

(US || 905d60b5018073ccf6f071cd541f3a88)