AbsoluteGamerzNetwork
Absolute Gamerz

Feedback for Stories

Forum: AvP Game
Everything about the First Game from Rebellion.
Topic: Feedback for Stories
Total Posts: 9

AlienQueen

Hi There!

Just a suggestion for your ever-improving site: Would it be possible to launch something like a 'Feedback' section or 'Review' section for the stories (an example how it could look would be fanfiction.net, where you have the story title + the reviews for everyone to see, which would help interested readers in chosing the perfect story for their interest. Also, since feedback is the bread and butter for each author and will help us all to get better, something like this (as the forum seems to be kinda deserted... ) would be greatly appreciated... well, at least by me How do the others see it?

DLSBlade

would be a good idea, but then again no one likes to get bad reviews

still, i WOULD be interested to see what people thort on a large scale

the_demigod

there will be a voting script [like in the gallery] and the "worded" feedback IS in the piepline.

But, like DLS said- what if they trash your stuff just because they had a bad day or don't like your vocabulary??

AlienQueen

Well, I guess this will be fate... and if someone puts his work out there, he should be aware that some might not like what he wrote. It's that fine line of giving a good or bad critique with the right words without insulting or flaming someone. If one feels the critique has a point, it might help to avoid certain mistakes the next time...

Swiss

the author could have the option to disable bad votes, for example

Vote: 4 (out of ten)

This thread sucked big time!

would not be posted on the direct site, but would go into a sealed area where it would remain hidden unless the author disabled the "no bad votes" option. The writer of the opinion would not be allowed to know if the author had disabled bad comments, and so would not give a review 10 out of 10 then write a shite review, just to get it posted for the public and the author to see.

as usual, its just a suggestion and demi will beat me up for saying it with his never ending barrage of flaws in my plans...

the_demigod

I don't beat up people. I have hired goons for that.

anyways: it will require some deep and creative coding, so initially well start with the rating system [see how that works out- I don't wanna see a "1.1" rating on somebody's story....] and we'll just move on from there.

Swiss

Quote:

On 2001-11-27 18:14, the_demigod wrote:

I don't beat up people. I have hired goons for that.

anyways: it will require some deep and creative coding, so initially well start with the rating system [see how that works out- I don't wanna see a "1.1" rating on somebody's story....] and we'll just move on from there.

yeah... even for coding it shouldn't be "too" hard

think of it like an email address almost, you can block all emails from "lessthan5@avp2.net" target="_new">5@avp2.net" and have them sent to your "other" folder, unless you remove the block and they all come into your inbox.

the problem is, do you still count their score on the average rating or not?

[ This message was edited by: Swiss on 2001-11-27 18:21 ]

CorporalHicks

Project Greenlight (a place where screenwriters submitted their stories in an attempt to making it a movie) had a kinda cool voting scheme where it had readers rank certain things like characterization, plot, and other story elements. Only the writers accessed their feedback, though. This could be cool but then again, one reason why many writers WON'T recieve feedback in the first place is because, well, some readers are lazy. Seriously! Not to be mean or anything, but how hard is it to email someone and say in a couple of sentences that the story was either good or bad? What? Ten seconds?

It hurts a writer to spill his or her guts but not recieve any feedback. Writers devote so much time in writing a piece. I think readers owe it to them to email them back. Half the fun is recieving news over your story. But that's just me. If we're gonna have feedback, I say we rank certain categories. It's fast. Lessens the risk of being bad mouthed. You can see how well you scale up. And you can see the areas you need to work on for future developing stories.

I agree with Alien Queen. Critique, be it good or not but still helpful, makes a writer grow. So, not all days will be fun or cheery. But the experience and the knowledge that SOMEONE is actually reading your story is worthwhile. Just my two cents.

[ This message was edited by: CorporalHicks on 2001-11-28 12:20 ]

the_demigod

Okay some info:

1. Prezes and me are setting up GameStory this week. To those of you who DON'T know what that is.... its your problem

2. GameStory has an advantage over this place- its monofocused

so:

- it will be easier for me to set the thing up there with the features you are outlining.

-the traffic there comes for exactly what you want: reading

BUT- we will not be abandoning THIS literature bit, instead you guys will probably get DOUBLE the exposure...

Here @avp2.net the coding for your desired features its a bit tougher [but we're working on the general outlines for the codes] because we have to incorporate the stuff into the existing site framework [and rthe main issue is modifying the databse structure to handle what you want]

The things you mention WILL happen, cause I like them myself.

one last thing: we give your email address in the story top title bar so that people will send you comments.

Personally I have received a few dozen mails about my Hunter's Defence over the cadence of ProjectAvP and about the same about my FPS Unreal stuff @GameStory.

So, whats the big deal?? feedback happens people!!!!!!!!

All copyrights and trademarks belong to their respective owners. This site is for the promotion of selected material, no infringements are intended. All reasonable efforts have been taken to credit the respective owners and/or authors.

AbsoluteGamerzNetwork

Cookie Policy | Privacy Policy

(AA || b233a6d2fda90dd6cc33fabc59ec7b8f)