AbsoluteGamerzNetwork
Absolute Gamerz

That's it, no more stories.

Forum: AvP Game
Everything about the First Game from Rebellion.
Topic: That's it, no more stories.
Total Posts: 31

Anise

That's it. I've got past the email filth for They May Be Gods. I've got past other stuff chucked my way, but when a story of mine gets a 1.25 (av 1+1+1+2) added to a 10 (av 10+10+10+10) score (making it 5.625) I know I'm licked. And this was from a writer. OK, you win. I'm out of here. I don't need this, I've got lots of other things to do.

This is Anise, signing OFF.

AlienSlof

Noooooooooooooo !!!

Who's doing these awful things?

This is getting worse than bad

And such damn good stories too.

Whimper

the_demigod

Okay... I had a look through the database, so I know WHO the moron is.

What do we do now?

SM

Chemical castration?

Mind you I think Anise is taking this a little too hard. You write because you love to write, not to gain ratings. If people like your stuff, good. If people don't like it and tell you why they don't like constructively, good. If they just flame you, why take any notice? The opinions of flamers are worth nothing, so why let them know that they've got to you?

Anise

Try 'last straw'.

Anise

Let it slide, Demi. If it's someone I know and look up to it will simply be even more disturbing. Although, you can do what you want but don't tell me. After all, this individual may move on to someone else and there a re a lot of sensitive types on here. After all, this goes beyond a rating, this is into another realm altogether.

Anise.

AlienQueen

I nevertheless think the name should be revealed. It's obvious that someone *has* been targeting Anise from the get-go, and if he/she thinks he/she can get away with this anonymously, it would only be fair to show he/ she's mistaken! Having your name revealed for malice might be the best weapon we *decent-minded* people have: Make them feel naked in front of everybody!

AlienSlof

I for 1 would like to know who the bastard is who's been targeting my friend. Anise's stories are first-rate, how can any1 be so mean?

Some1 did the same with my AvP pic, but I think I know who that was. 2 votes, 1 at 10, the other at 1. There are some seriously disturbed and spiteful people out there.

SM - this has happened to Anise before, so there does come a point where she can no longer put up with it.

SilverHawk

I agree that the persons name should be revealed for such spitefulness! I myself have to admit that I didn't like the way the story described the Aliens (AlienSlof DoX has made be slightly "bias")

But I liked the explantion of the Space Jockys and how well written the story was. So I say we go asshole hunting!

(Cocks M-16A3 Rifle)

Anise

Thanks, SH, but the story that got hammered was 'It's tough being an alien'.

AlienSlof

I REALLY want to know who it is - I don't like my friends being treated like this.

dvVIII

This may sound odd but I take flaming as a compliment. If someone goes through the trouble of commenting or writing an email saying 'you suck...' etc. then whatever I wrote or painted/sketched must have really got to them on some level. They may not like the story or its outcome but that has nothing to do with how well it was written.

So the next time someone sends you an email flaming your work, just remember your work must have been good enough in one way or another to get them so heated in the first place.

[ This message was edited by: dvVIII on 2002-05-28 08:50 ]

the_demigod

I thinks ITS NOT the same person from the revious "bad patch"....

More likely its simply a case of misunderstood voting, where the "voter" voted about his dislikes rather than utilise the voting system as a feedback form for a fellow writer in terms of real specific aspects of the writing process.

I had a DEEP look through the database last night and there ARE some interesting voting patterns

Anyhow- since plenty of writers wind up here- YOU PEOPLE VOTE AS WELL [then a single "bad" apple ain't gonna have such a dramatic impact on a story's averages]. COME ON! you wanted the votes so now VOTE!

Anise

I was begining to wonder that. I thought a few days ago what happens if (like It's tough being an alien) a story has a] Next to no dialogue. Strictly speaking ITBAA has three short lines of actual dialogue. b] There is no characterization (none was required as such). I'd have expected something better for the plotline, maybe that's what the (spit) 2 was for. I forget what the last category is. Oh yeah! Action, of which there was zip, zilch, zero. So how does the story get accurately rated? Some of us use a bit of savvy but some are going to be very literal.

"Huh! No dialogue! That's a 1. WTF! No action! That's a 1. Flip me, One alien telling a story to me! So, that's no characterisation then, that's 1. And what's this alien doing talking to me like we're equel, well, I'll be generous, that's a 2." I can picture it now.

Anise.

AlienSlof

It was still damn good tho - it made me laff

SM

Quote:
SM - this has happened to Anise before, so there does come a point where she can no longer put up with it.

Fair enough, but there's obviously people here who like Anise's stuff. If it were me, that'd be enough for me to keep writing.

the_demigod

so.. is the moral of this story that the voting system isn't for everything??? or what??

DaggleC

The moral I kind of picked up is, we need to know why it was voted so low.

A 'must fill in' comment field after the votes saying why they voted as they did would help.

But remember.. I'm not that bright...

Anise

Checking back over past threads, I said ages ago that a simpler system was needed. At the time I proposed a two score system that had a rating for how people liked the story and what they thought of the writing quality. Naturally, both ratings would have to be shown.

I've rated some stories and with a two score system I would have rated very differently because I wouldn't be stuck with 4 categories that may not relate. They certainly don't relate to a monologue like 'ITBaA' or Protector. Although Protector had action, it, too, was a monologue of sorts.

There's the possibility that forcong people to comment will stop them rating all together. Maybe the rating screen can move on to ask 'Leave a comment? Y/N' then they can skip it if they want.

There are currently two stories in the pipeline that are in collaboration with others and I'll finish those two because there are others involved. After that, who knows.

Writing is what I do when it's too late to be in my workshop or simply a way of winding down after spending a few hours turning precision parts for my steam engines. Yes, I enjoy making steam engines.

Anise.

SM

I said in another thread that you can force people to comment (only allowing them to enter a rating if they enter comments) but you can't force them to comment constructively.

They could simply give a story a '1' rating and enter "This sukz" or "asfkj".

As long a morons can read, any rating system is open to abuse.

Maybe it would be for the best to ditch the rating system, and writers can guage response by keeping it to forum threads.

Or having awards every so often, where a number of stories are nominated and readers vote for the one they like the most. Wasn't there going to be something like this a little while back?

All copyrights and trademarks belong to their respective owners. This site is for the promotion of selected material, no infringements are intended. All reasonable efforts have been taken to credit the respective owners and/or authors.

AbsoluteGamerzNetwork

Cookie Policy | Privacy Policy

(US || 8467a2d32aefdb7b84063c5f5401132f)