AbsoluteGamerzNetwork
Absolute Gamerz

A pred killing not armed civillians?

Forum: AvP Game
Everything about the First Game from Rebellion.
Topic: A pred killing not armed civillians?
Total Posts: 40

KGI

I have a question.Is it nesesary to kill not armed civillians with the pred? i ask you this because the pred only kills armed humans.

I think a bad pred would kill a not armed civillian.Aren

Xenomorphmelt

They don't see "good" and "bad" the way we do, they don't kill unarmed people, because there's no sport in it, not because they feel that it is either bad, or good.

AlienSlof

I'd say that's pretty accurate. From what I've been able to figure out from reading the various Predator and AvP books is that they are a strictly honour-bound race, the harder the prey is to hunt, the more honour is gained by killing it in a fair fight. There is no honour in easy kills. Also, too, in the books, the more homour a male Pred has, the more females he is likely to get as result.

SirYawnalot

There must be a helluva lot of Johnny Bravos among those Preds... ("Hey poochie momma.. I just bagged me a triceratops! Here, have yourself a little feel of my triceps. Biceps. Get it? hyunk hyunk.." *slap*)

Anise

Maybe it's me but I don't see much honour in the Predator. It kills from a distance. It kills when cloaked. I reckon that they don't kill the unarmed because they think it would make them too big a right git. In some respects they are just the same as human hunters. My best guess is that they see humans as just another animal and anything goes so long as it's armed and not pregnant. Same as rabbiters that won't kill a doe in the mating season.

On the face of it, a Predator isn't stupid enough to risk it's life in an open warfare type fair fight, otherwise they would. One has to wonder what went through the minds of the snipers during the major wars when they took someone down from hundreds of yards away. The victim never knowing what hit them.

Ooookaayyyyy, that's slung the cat fairly and squarely amongst the pigeons

Anise.

[ This message was edited by: Anise on 2002-06-19 08:52 ]

Nealith

Predator honor is a tricky thing. Some things that seem dishonorable (my friends bring up Blaine's death all the time) aren't really when you look at the alternative. Sure, firing with the plasma caster while cloaked wasn't hard to do, but what should he have done? walked infront of the guy with the MINIGUN and attacked him with his claws? No. That minigun probably has a damage potential about as big as the plasmacaster itself, so at that point in the hunt it became a shootout. Same deal with Mac's death...there we have a sniper's duel.

Whenever a Predator is on a hunt, he has to consider the fine line between making things challenging and walking into his death.

SM

Quote:
Maybe it's me but I don't see much honour in the Predator. It kills from a distance. It kills when cloaked.

Not to mention it spits the dummy and arms a nuke when it loses. Talk about a cry baby.

I too don't see much honour in Predators either. So it spares a pregnant woman. Let's give it a Nobel Peace Prize... I haven't read any Predator literature, just seen the films a couple of times each. As far as I can tell, they're cool monsters, with cool weapons. Saying they have 'honour' gives them too much credit IMHO.

WorldsMostVenom...

I'll give 'em credit for having some guidelines about hunting, trophy-taking, etc. I don't think what we've seen, though, if it's an honor code, extends much beyond their race. Not claiming other preds kills i can see. Trying to take down prey in some challenging fashion, that's a bit of sportsmanship. I don't think we're looking at any kind of 'warriors' code' though, at least not in relationship to us. They likely don't respect us enough for that. I think maybe they get more brownie points for scoring kills uncloaked, hand to hand, or what have you...just because it's a bit closer to a challenge. That doesn't imply they mean to make it a fair fight or anything.

Then there's the auto-destruct. This fulfills 2 purposes IMO:

1:to dispose of any evidence or the Yautja's existence if they are defeated. Also to prevent the prey from gaining knowledge of their weapons.

2:Much like the Seppuku bit with samurai...they'd rather die than admit they failed in the hunt. More of a pride thing than an honor thing. It doesn't hurt that they can maybe take their defeater with them; sort of a last laugh. Imagine some over-testosteroned hunter getting the shit beat out of him by a squirrel or something...magnify that kind of embarrasment tenfold. Likely, 9 cases out of 10, the defeated pred (if it lives) is made an outcast and subject of ridicule if it is defeated by intended prey.

FrostyX

Hey why bother the pred dont know if the civilian will wip out a pistol ya know.You cant be to careful as to who to kill or not!And plus if you playing like a singal player and you leave the civillians alone they might go and set off an alarm or something I mean really i have had that happend before!But what if there was a guy in a trench coat he could bring out a shotgun or something so cant be to carefull!

SM

Quote:
But what if there was a guy in a trench coat he could bring out a shotgun or something so cant be to carefull!

And then again maybe he's wearing a trench coat 'cos he cold. I'm not really talking about the game here, but the movies. When I play Predator in AvP I just take out everything, armed or otherwise - keeps me off the streets.

But Dark Horse have projected this whole honour code onto them - which is fair enough. If you're going to expand a franchise you need to use some license and take some liberties. I don't think the honour code is warranted based on the films. But then I don't agree with some of the stuff Dark Horse did with Aliens either...

FrostyX

ok well what if theres a battel ya know a civillian is tring to run away??and the pred happens to swing and slice? Accident or what?cuz say your the pred what if your like hurt and you are real screwed up i swing at anything to!The same race the tried to kill you?revenge I say!!

SM

Talk about getting off track.

Swinging a wrist blade in the middle of a melee and killing an unarmed civilian, ISN'T hunting them.

As you say - it's an accident.

SirYawnalot

Well, one of the very few things I see as possibly being slightly relating to the films is the Preds seeing humans as being crafty. Of course, it's rather unbelieveable that they're actually frightened of us as the books say, but them seeing us as crafty, tricky prey could be warranted. Most of their prey creatures are probably dumb creatures which only mate, eat, fight and die. Although they probably don't respect us, as Mr Mammal suggested, they would see even unarmed humans as possible prey-- their reasoning that a human should be cunning enough to pose a challenge.

And considering what we've seen in the Predator films, it's a reasoning that can be respected

WorldsMostVenom...

Here's something to ponder;

Anyone else thik this whole 'honon code' thing is a bit...Klingony? Like some ST geek slipped it into the pred mythos by writing a book?

SirYawnalot

Lol. Yeah I do notice most of the authors of Aliens and Predator books/comics tend to have had previous experience writing ST books/comics. Personally I stay *WELL* clear of Star Trek, so I couldn't agree or disagree with you really (DAMN!)

WorldsMostVenom...

Me too. Unfortunately my dad has no such avoidance.

Nealith

It's a shame there is no actual witten code somewhere that could explain both the films and most of the comics. Perhaps someone here should have a go at writing one?

And as to their similarities to Klingons...after much debate, my friends and I here in Ottawa came to the conclusion that the Predators are modeled mostly after ancient japanese samuri style honor, and the Klingongs are modeled after the Vikings codes of honor. What do you guys think?

FrostyX

Why should the pred care who he kills or not?They aren't the same race!Just like aliens they don't care I mean they just chomp!Who knows if the pred has feelings or not!!!Like hes going to feel emotional enough to let a person go!Hes a hunter let him hunt!

Xenomorphmelt

Well now Frost, there's a difference there, you see an alien, no matter what stage of life it is in, is an aggressive little beast that thinks very little of killing anything in its path so it can do whatever it's instincts say. Humans however are different, we have no claws, nor massive teeth, we cannot climb walls, we're not even specifily blessed in our senses, with the acception of human depth perception, which is quite impressive. We have to make weapons, and we have to have our brains developed to a point before we can even do that. Aliens however can kill you anytime. A facehugger will do you in just as quick as a queen will. A human baby will sit there and stare at you, while an unarmed adult human will either run, shit his pants, or at least take a swing at you. Neither of which is very dangerous, it is only when we we pick up a weapon that we become an even minor threat, where-as the aliens are a threat all the time. You argued that we don't even know if the pred has emotions or honor, perhaps we don't, but the people who created the predator, (that is, spawned every true thing about it), say that he does, and I'll take the creator's word for it over anybody elses. Therefore, even the most minute trace of emotion would tell him that there is no honor in killing an unarmed harmless human, where as it would be honorably more appealing to kill a face hugger which has the immediate ability to kill you.

[ This message was edited by: Xenomorphmelt on 2002-06-20 17:43 ]

FrostyX

Ok well you got me there.I agree but cha got to admit the pred will take chances though...right???

All copyrights and trademarks belong to their respective owners. This site is for the promotion of selected material, no infringements are intended. All reasonable efforts have been taken to credit the respective owners and/or authors.

AbsoluteGamerzNetwork

Cookie Policy | Privacy Policy

(AA || dcd8c24004cc4db22d9cb6c117fc3647)