AbsoluteGamerzNetwork
Absolute Gamerz

'avp2' compared to 'return to castle wolfenstein'

Forum: AvP 2 Game
Everything about the Second Game from Monolith.
Topic: 'avp2' compared to 'return to castle wolfenstein'
Total Posts: 20

trooper321

Hi guys, well as you know avp2 and return to castle wolfenstein are the hottest releases for the end of 2001. I have both of them and i must say there are quite some differences.

PCgamers rating for avp2 was 61% which i think wasn't right...wolfenstein got 91% and i must say...the atmosphere in avp2 is quite more realistic and terrifying. I think avp2 is definitely the hottest release of 2001, the alien saga is great...ok guys we all know the endings are 'so so' but at least we must admit the game is 'haunting' and full of suspense.

Wolfenstein's graphics aren't all that i think, the anti-alliasing on a geforce2 MX is just basic (the corners really need some retouch in their mapping...shadows too!!!!)

For 2001 we can't even allow mistakes like that!!! For example...when you see a fireplace in wolfenstein...you can notice the back wall behind the flames has the same type of shadowing as the walls surrounding the fireplace and this is a horrible mistake!! I think one of the best games of 2001 was 'severance blade of darkness'...this game uses full power graphics, it's actually amazing!!!!

Well what i want to say is that people don't necessarily have to believe the reviews in game magazines, aliens vs predator is an instant classic in gaming...i love it.

Peace out, trooper321

Cougar

Well as we all know is that avp2 is obviously unreal, but the graphics are way better! RTCW is rubish compared to it! Its just that there's 2 factions. Science-Fiction fans, and Fiction-Non fiction fans! So let the ones who prefere crappy graphics and un-realism choose the game that has the bugs and other problems, but I saw that avp2 would seriously, beat RTCW anyday. Except those damn rubbish magazines!

Apone

RTCW is so utterly boring if u ask me....

nothing beats the thrill of a motion detector beeping.....

Prezes

plus- most eviewers are in their late 20's and early 30's so they would have been growing up with the first Wolfenstein game, which would have affected their "psyche"

Terrorfarmer

grrrrrr pcgamer gave a 61% to avp2 and a 91% to rtcw. Sounds like ID has given about 100.000 dollars to buy them of or PcGamer just sux. that's all i have to say

trooper321

you're right apone...nothing beats the sound of the motion tracker...nothing beats the rush of an alien hunting you...nothing beats the feeling of adrenaline pumpin' your vains to ecstatic limits...nothing beats the 'sissing' alien sounds right before attack...avp2 is THE game that has it all...

TomM

What ive seen of wolfenstein doesnt look THAT great. AvP2 was good but it had its downfalls (The in game bugs for example) but i havent even played wolfenstein yet. The two storylines are both good but it really comes down to who can pull it off the best.

strider68744

well... I have both rtcw and avp2 and...

I love em both! sorry, but I have to admit, rtcw's graphics are better than avp2, but not by much!

dont get me wrong... I love avp2. The weapons destroy rtcw... sure, those are wwII weapons, and maybe 2 made-up ones, but they arent much fun.

hehe I love the smartgun... *drool*

oh and the sounds are way better in avp2.

I think the only scary atmosphere from rtcw was the zombies... they sure freaked me out. MAYBE the x-creatures can scare you, but they didnt do much for me.

in a nutshell, they are both good. It all depends on what your taste is more balanced towards: semi-realistic historical fiction, or science fiction.

[ This message was edited by: strider68744 on 2001-12-31 19:51 ]

Swiss

Quote:

On 2001-12-31 19:50, strider68744 wrote:

well... I have both rtcw and avp2 and...

I love em both! sorry, but I have to admit, rtcw's graphics are better than avp2, but not by much!

dont get me wrong... I love avp2. The weapons destroy rtcw... sure, those are wwII weapons, and maybe 2 made-up ones, but they arent much fun.

hehe I love the smartgun... *drool*

oh and the sounds are way better in avp2.

I think the only scary atmosphere from rtcw was the zombies... they sure freaked me out. MAYBE the x-creatures can scare you, but they didnt do much for me.

in a nutshell, they are both good. It all depends on what your taste is more balanced towards: semi-realistic historical fiction, or science fiction.

[ This message was edited by: strider68744 on 2001-12-31 19:51 ]

Exaclty my thoughts. I own them both and this is exactly what I thought.

AlienSlof

I too own both these games, and have played them both thru on hard difficulty. Both games have their merits, but 1 stands out and yells to me 'PLAY ME' more than the other 1 does.

The 1 that screams? AvP2. Why? Because for once in a FPS game I can play something other than a HUMAN! I am getting a bit bored with playing humans in games. In AvP2 I get to be my most favourite monster ever - the alien! Wallwalking is just so much FUN! Hiding on the ceiling in a dark corner in a multiplayer game, then ripping some1's head off is just so funny! As for the facehugger/chestburster bit - that just blew my mind - that has to rank as my strangest gaming experience ever!

I have done the Alien mission 4 times now, and will probably play it again, I have done the pred mission twice, and the marine only the once.

I am in my 30's now, I started my gaming with Wolfenstein, thru the Dooms, the Quakes, Half Life and numerous others - I've played Quake 3 for 2 years - even in that I use the Klesk as my player model! (I'm the one who did the klesk playing on the computer pic in PC Gamer a few months back )

RTCW is good, but again, choice of human only - I like to be something else for a change when I'm gaming! Much as I am really drooling in anticipation over Doom 3 and Quake 4, I suspect they will be human viewpoint too. I'm just getting a bit bored of playing humans - at least as the alien I have had to learn a few new skills and a different play style - no railguns here! Maybe most peeps like playing human each time, but I like to diversify and be different.

AvP3 anyone?

DLSBlade

i'll get a beating for this, but i think AvP2 SUCKS ASS. Thats right, it is a terrible game, the original was a thousand times better, the marine is way too tough, the alien is way too slow and the predator is way too weak.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein has the better graphics of the two (im running it on GeForce3 on a P4 1.8Ghz, highest resolution either of em will go to, RTCW still looks way better), plus Wolfenstein thrashes it to pieces on atmosphere (EXCEPT for the marine level going into the hive for the first time, that WAS cool)

I finished RTCW after 6 hours on normal difficulty, but i'll be doing it on hard pretty soon. The AI is so good its amazing, the flamethrower effects beats AvP2's into the ground.

Terrorfarmer

hmmm i think avp2 is cool.... but yes true... I also find those drawbacks..... preds are hardly stronger than marines, aliens are slower than my little sister who just learned how to crouch and the marines, well they are about the same.... I do like the facehugger and runner thing tough... predaliens and preatorians aren't that cool to me... but runners are ok cuz i liked alien 3 but i think they should've made it look better.... cuz it looks pretty bad in avp2..... it's skin doesn't get darker like it does in alien 3, and it also looks somewhat different in model. Hope they correct it in a patch or something.... I also would've like that you could choose in the alien singleplayer what to get, i mean if you could facehug a human or a dog which would bring some diversity in the singleplayer campaign...

Xerxes

Quote:
plus- most eviewers are in their late 20's and early 30's so they would have been growing up with the first Wolfenstein game, which would have affected their "psyche"

Well no doubt they grew up watching aliens and predator aswell as playing wolfenstein

Anyways i think to get the most out of RTCW you need a top spec machine, just to see what the q3:team arena engine can do.

This was the downfall of rtcw, as playing a game and only getting 12 fps (when the ss elite guard parachute in) isnt my idea of fun.

I bought rtcw and avp2 for the single player experience, the only problem ive found with avp2 is the load times, thats about it, i can still run the game with all the eyecandy turned on, but with rtcw if i want a playable SP experience i need to muck about with the picmip, and everything becomes ugly, if i want ugly ill play q3.

umm hope you undersstand this post, as i dont

[ This message was edited by: Xerxes on 2002-01-11 23:09 ]

strider68744

Quote:

On 2002-01-11 13:26, DLSBlade wrote:

i'll get a beating for this, but i think AvP2 SUCKS ASS. Thats right, it is a terrible game, the original was a thousand times better, the marine is way too tough, the alien is way too slow and the predator is way too weak.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein has the better graphics of the two (im running it on GeForce3 on a P4 1.8Ghz, highest resolution either of em will go to, RTCW still looks way better), plus Wolfenstein thrashes it to pieces on atmosphere (EXCEPT for the marine level going into the hive for the first time, that WAS cool)

I finished RTCW after 6 hours on normal difficulty, but i'll be doing it on hard pretty soon. The AI is so good its amazing, the flamethrower effects beats AvP2's into the ground.

the feeling of survival, which I go for, is much better in Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Especially on the airfield level... I loved that mission so much! However, if you want atmosphere, AvP2 kills RtCW. The scary slow pace down a dark corridor as a Marine, only hearing the clanking of your footsteps, and the pulses on your motion tracker.... then when there's a mass of aliens running around, out of site, your motion tracker comes alive! it's amazing!

ok, the multiplayer is OK... its a little too intense to be honest. I used to be a hardcore UT player, and belive me, AvP2 is much more fast paced than UT in deathmatch with more than 16 players. But I'm very dissappointed with the Corporates... I dont like them in multiplayer!! aaarrg!

there should be an expansion pack for AvP2... like some Corporates campaign or something...

Swiss

Quote:

On 2002-01-11 13:26, DLSBlade wrote:

also VERY VERY right.

some people are psychic

strider68744

Quote:

On 2002-01-11 23:05, Xerxes wrote:

[quote] plus- most eviewers are in their late 20's and early 30's so they would have been growing up with the first Wolfenstein game, which would have affected their "psyche"

Well no doubt they grew up watching aliens and predator aswell as playing wolfenstein

Anyways i think to get the most out of RTCW you need a top spec machine, just to see what the q3:team arena engine can do.

This was the downfall of rtcw, as playing a game and only getting 12 fps (when the ss elite guard parachute in) isnt my idea of fun.

I bought rtcw and avp2 for the single player experience, the only problem ive found with avp2 is the load times, thats about it, i can still run the game with all the eyecandy turned on, but with rtcw if i want a playable SP experience i need to muck about with the picmip, and everything becomes ugly, if i want ugly ill play q3.

umm hope you undersstand this post, as i dont

[ This message was edited by: Xerxes on 2002-01-11 23:09 ]

[/quote]

uhh... I dunno whats going on for me, but I get better perofrmance for RtCW over AvP2! I have a GeForce2 MX card, P3 800MHz, 256Mb RAM... Nothing big but I'm just guessing its the strange mouse movement in the Lithtech engine. it has very choppy mouse movement.

the fps for me is about the same, it just FEELS choppier in AvP2.

the_demigod

just to hammer the Q3A engine power and demands- its the only engine that CAN utilise a dual-precessor motherboard...

Swiss

i now think RTCW is better than AvP2 in every way.

I uninstalled AvP2 off my machine because it was getting dull. RTCW is still there though

AlienSlof

It worked the other way for me - RTCW went, AvP2 stayed on

Anise

I've got both games and I enjoyed them both, albeit for different reasons. I found both RTCW and AVP2 to be intense in places. Mind you, AvP2 made me jump a lot more than RTCW. Either way, I liked 'em both.

RTCW played fine on GeForce2, Athlon 850 with 320MB RAM all eyecandy on. Played both games at 1024x768 at 32 bit colour, both played really well.

My tuppence worth )

Anise.

(A poor newbie online).

All copyrights and trademarks belong to their respective owners. This site is for the promotion of selected material, no infringements are intended. All reasonable efforts have been taken to credit the respective owners and/or authors.

AbsoluteGamerzNetwork

Cookie Policy | Privacy Policy

(US || b187293f2bf39c48839129d0ccb5f2bb)