AbsoluteGamerzNetwork
Absolute Gamerz

AvP versus AvP2

Forum: AvP Game
Everything about the First Game from Rebellion.
Topic: AvP versus AvP2
Total Posts: 31

Terrorfarmer

hmm pred missions were not best.. they were ok... but way easier than the other 2 campaigns...... and... i found the ending somewhat disappointing....

Cliff

So does anybody know where I can find a predator.rez file on the net. It seems that the predator.rez file is damage and that is why I think I can't play the pred missions.

Terrorfarmer

nope... srry... or wait... how big is this file... if it's not too big perhaps i can mail it to you... i'll look for it in my avp2 directory

plz give me your mail address

slippifishi

I personally found AvP to have a better multiplayer game, and I miss being "stranded" with far too many aliens

Regardiung that predator.rez file, I think you'll find it >may< be a little too large to e-mail (certainly on a modem anyway . Not at home though so I can't check the filesize myself...

Cougar

yeah i have it on my avp2 directory, i think u can only have it on the directory with full installation, email address plz

SirYawnalot

I don't know how anyone can say the AvP1 preds were best... they were basically humans with less decent weapons (disc excepted) and a vast amount of health...

Anyhoo.

In single-player..

-AvP1 had the best structure, I loved the way you could play through an individual level, and the levels were more distinct, whereas if you play an AvP2 level you're kind of pulled into following the story and trying to beat the game...

-AvP1 gave the best Alien single-player missions. Can't explain it, i just liked them better

-Both games gave the Marine some pretty good arenas to dash around, things that stick in my head are dashing around the Colony level and Orbital level in AvP1 and being hunted by the Pred and escaping from the Pods in AvP2.

-There's no question about it, AvP2's Pred levels were fantastic. Waterfall in AvP1 was okay, but nothing really compares to jumping around in the trees, or chasing Rykov through the Artifact.

-AvP2 had no Skirmish (a BIG mistake considering the fact that you couldn't just play an individual single-player level..) so AvP1 has to rank on this i *loved* Stranded.

Characters

-The Alien's slowness really bugs me i'd happily give up the monstrous stopping power of the Claw attack if the species was made as fast as it was in AvP1. Pouncing really doesn't make up for it. Having said that, AvP2's poisoned tail is neat

-No question, the Marine is vastly improved in AvP2.

-Also no question as to the Pred, with the adding of new weapons completely different to the Marine's, balancing of the Disc, and the Leap making it more unhuman. You really do need a different playing style for each species in AvP2.

Multiplayer

AvP2 has vastly superior netcode and the browser is very welcome, but the extra gametypes aren't particularly imaginative and I tend to find myself playing TDM more than anything else. Having said that, AvP1 had much better balance-- Aliens were so quick they could even outrun the tracking on smartguns and discs. Marine weapons were pretty damn devastating. Preds were probably the most disadvantaged species, because due to the bad netcode it was difficult to get a hit with the speargun. The AvP1 plasmacaster was much more balanced though, and the incredible toughness and Disc made the AvP1 Predator just as balanced as the other races.

Technically, AvP2 was made long after AvP1 and thus we shouldn't really compare the two engines.

Seems to me Monolith have made the Id mistake of striving to make AvP2 superior to the original in terms of technical ability, but at the cost of the actual playability of the game. Good attempt though.

SirYawnalot

Oh yeah, and I wish headbiting/clawing corpses would give as much health as it did in AvP1.. *sigh*

Terrorfarmer

oh yeah well.... that isn't the biggest problem i think...... but the alien speed is..... grrr.... i get disappointed every time when i play avp2 just after i've played avp1...... i just get bored of the alien's slow speed.........

SirYawnalot

Nah, compared with the health-getting problem (which is a MAJOR prob for PredAliens, Queens and Praetorians), the speed isn't so much of a prob considering how lethal a well-timed pounce can be.

the_demigod

Yawnalot: would you wanna summarise all your postsinto and AvP-AvP2 comparison for this site's "official" game section???

SirYawnalot

sure, if you'd like me to! just tell me where to send it etc.

[ This message was edited by: SirYawnalot on 2002-02-22 17:50 ]

All copyrights and trademarks belong to their respective owners. This site is for the promotion of selected material, no infringements are intended. All reasonable efforts have been taken to credit the respective owners and/or authors.

AbsoluteGamerzNetwork

Cookie Policy | Privacy Policy

(AA || 5198e851337c6c6fcb4bace2df54dfb3)