AbsoluteGamerzNetwork
Absolute Gamerz

AvP2 versus Half-Life

Forum: AvP 2 Game
Everything about the Second Game from Monolith.
Topic: AvP2 versus Half-Life
Total Posts: 42

Terrorfarmer

Though first person isn't my favorite genre (rts is) i think HL wasn't that good.

HL was original true...... but i was really disappointed with it..... i mean... the aliens where just a bunch of losers with no design..... they really looked like idiots.... the guy you played with, didn't look cool and his biohazard suit was idiotic...... and on the end of the game you would come in the xen levels..... god...... how boring.... i just quitted cuz i had no fun playing that..... avp is my favorite first person shooter and avp2 is also in my top 5...... doom and RISE OF THE TRIOT hehe are my favorites behind avp....

Swiss

Quote:

On 2002-02-21 12:30, SirYawnalot wrote:

1. They're not more famous.

2. Yes they are better. (except Quake-- ugh)

[ This message was edited by: SirYawnalot on 2002-02-21 12:31 ]

see above "dont make me laugh" comment.

Wolfenstein was the first ever shoot-em-up.

Of course doom and duke are more famous.

Quake has a following that would slaughter that of half-lifes.

I can obtain sales figures to prove this, as well as public opinion - you cannot claim more people have heard of half-life, than of doom.

strider68744

think about this carefully here...

Half-Life involved the player within the story like no other game. It didnt reveal any plot to you whatsoever, you simply try to survive and you experience the plot as you play through.

The confusing g-man? the bloodthirsty aliens? "why..why..why..." you ask? if it were to happen in real life, would you be able to find out anything that you're asking about? no...

would the g-man tell you who he is? noo...

would the aliens just tell you why they're eating scientists here and there? noo....

its a survival-horror game that slowly makes you unravel the plot, and lets you interprate it in whatever way you want.

Half-Life is very old now, with an outdated engine. AvP is much better obviously... I have to admit RtCW looks better. If you don't believe me, buy the game or download the demo.

Cougar

We still ain't got to the point here!

No offence, but whoever designed those aliens from HL must have a VERY active imagination, to come up with something that looks... well... shite. Anyways, the one thing that does me in is how: Aliens came because they had nothinng better to do than eat scientists! G-Man is some weirdo, thats all i can say, i mean, what the fuck???

Anyway... Aliens graphics or design was too down... a let down, I expected more, the graphics were ok, but details and effects, i think honestly they were a little down on my good side. The good points of the game were how the effect of weapons and stuff had on surroundings and aliens, a bad point, how everyone happened to know your there when hiding! **. I suppose its an Aliens "Sense of Sight" which is different to a humans then. Good taste would point you in the direction of other FPS's as Half Life is a game out of date if I may say, some of its MODS are fine, but the original has come and gone, I see it in the shops now: Half Life & DOD, CS, TFC only

the_demigod

slippifishi: there used to be a tiny file that changed the "hard" setting in HL to make the damage more extensive [it showed by changing the colour of the "hard" sign that showed on beginning of game]

only way to make another re-play of HL memorable....

Mariini

Swiss is totally right, if you disagree yawnalot you must be 10 years or you are living in a box.

Wolfenstain blowed the bank, it was the FIRST game of this genre.

Then came Doom, Doom2, Ultimate Doom... With better graphics, more monsters, more weapons, real kickass game!

Duke 3d was a disappointment, but see Quake. Maybe it isn't such a popular in single player anymore but it has much more harder multipalyer scene than HL will ever have. You CAN'T find such a dedicated people from HL online than you find in QW TF. Quake will never die....

SirYawnalot

Did I say Half-Life was better than them? (except Quake, and being an Unreal player myself, I'm inclined to hate all things of a seismic-name nature)

I just said it's more famous, and the fact that it's still high in the selling charts after all these years (and its porting onto consoles) is a testament to that fact. I don't know anybody who's not heard of Half-Life but has heard about Doom.

And strider, personally I'm not someone who wants too much realism in games-- it's kind of defeating the point. I'd much prefer to play a decent game which reveals its storyline as the game progresses. But I have to agree Half-Life does indeed immerse the player in the plot. Such as it is.

Swiss, before Return To Castle Wolfenstein (played the demo, thought it was terrible by the way), nobody I know had ever heard of the original Wolfenstein

the_demigod

I never heard of Wolfenstein.

but RTCW kicks ass all the way.

Terrorfarmer

well.... i agree with sir yawnalot.... cuz half-life is more famous..... sure wolfenstein 3d and doom set the FPS genre.... there weren't as many gamers as there are now..... not by far..... this makes half-life more known.... and you know..... i don't think half life sux... it has brought a story telling fps..... but they just putted it in the wrong universe..... and they let you play the wrong character..... that's why i think opposing force is ok cuz you get to play the marine

TomM

If we are also on about MODs which have been added to the games then ill choose half-life. I loved the storyline and the way it went into Opp force and blue shift was great. The graphics wernt bad at all for when it was mad.

AvP2 is damn good. I'm not saying its a bad game but it didnt have as strong as a storyline or characters as in Half-Life. Also the lag in AvP2 online is horrible.

Half-life also had TFC and CS which i love to play. i play on those 2 mods so much and they make me glad i bought half-life.

So, even though you are all gonna hate me, im going to say that half-life is better

the_demigod

talking about HL and Blusehsift-

how good is the new engine thingy from Blueshift that supposedly upgrades all previous versions of HL?????????

TomM

Its nothing special. All ive noticed is that it updates some of the weapons (the machine gun is now and M16) and a few of the monsters look at bit different

Cougar

Yeah that was it, pistol became a Desert Eagle, shot gun = spas 12, mp5 = colt m16, gren look different, CS style, theres some others i tink, but cant remember them right now.. shit, gonna fix my friends comp now, bye all!

the_demigod

how about the overall graphics [walls, floor, sky, etc]????????????

Terrorfarmer

well... i've got no problem with your opinion tomm...... seeing at the succes of half life probable most people would agree.

Red_Dragon

Demi - The Blue Shift update is supposed to give the Half-Life engine a total overhaul. Updating all the textures and weapons and characters and items, giving them a smoother look.

On the downside, Blue Shift's update can screw up a lot of the Mods made for half-life.

In my opinion, I wouldnt buy it, but if you really like Half-life and you cant get enough of it, then get it. But if your looking for something new and interesting for Half-Life, go download Poke646, the best Half-Life single player mod out there.

just thought I'd throw in my advice!

Swiss

Quote:

On 2002-02-23 05:41, SirYawnalot wrote:

Did I say Half-Life was better than them? (except Quake, and being an Unreal player myself, I'm inclined to hate all things of a seismic-name nature)

I just said it's more famous, and the fact that it's still high in the selling charts after all these years (and its porting onto consoles) is a testament to that fact. I don't know anybody who's not heard of Half-Life but has heard about Doom.

And strider, personally I'm not someone who wants too much realism in games-- it's kind of defeating the point. I'd much prefer to play a decent game which reveals its storyline as the game progresses. But I have to agree Half-Life does indeed immerse the player in the plot. Such as it is.

Swiss, before Return To Castle Wolfenstein (played the demo, thought it was terrible by the way), nobody I know had ever heard of the original Wolfenstein

The only reason you and your friends have never heard of it, is either/or one of two reasons. You are too young. Or too obsessed.

I found half-life pleasant, slightly repetative but overall an average gaming experience.

It is not more famous simply because 'your friends' haven't heard of doom, but have heard of half-life.

The very structure of every game you play is based on doom and wolfenstein. If you dont know that then you're merely ignorant, not stupid.

Cougar

well, half life has a good story line to it, especially the way it ties in with each of the single player mods with it, all three lines tie in with the other(s). Thats one thing I really liked about the game is its storyline; one thing that pissed me off, is when there are those dumb ass scientists that get in your way when you are trying to shoot someone... or something, and you end up killing the guy, like in blue shift, i rescued that guy the marines caught and he got in my line of fire as I was shooting a marine... head shot and um... gory sight if there was some gore in it at all, but then again, it was ment to be a game for all ages, so i guess they would rather it be a little, on the non-gory side for players and viewers, wouldn't they?

Cenuri0n7

lol,.............half-life and rtcw are both better than Avp2 and i think the could of done alot bet avp2 i still like the game i got tierd of half-life but half-life had a ton of mods and if you say rtcw sucks youve got mental issues

Cliff

I have heard of Wolfenstein when I got my first computer the person that sold it to us installed Wolfenstein and Duke Nukem.

Anyway I didn't find HL that good I have a really sort attension spand and the game this seemed to go on and on and not really big changes in the levels. So at one point when I got stuck and was really really bored so I exited it and uninstalled it then a few months later I reinstalled it but stopped playing again because it was so boring the second time around.

I didn't really get much of the storyline all I got is your I scientist that tries to make it to the surface aliens exist and try to kill you marines try to kill you and there is always that freaky G-man in the blue suit (I think) looking at you.

All copyrights and trademarks belong to their respective owners. This site is for the promotion of selected material, no infringements are intended. All reasonable efforts have been taken to credit the respective owners and/or authors.

AbsoluteGamerzNetwork

Cookie Policy | Privacy Policy

(AA || f11f07c6ca68f000d0cabd10f4c04d5f)