AbsoluteGamerzNetwork
Absolute Gamerz

the evolution of a queen

Forum: AvP 2 Game
Everything about the Second Game from Monolith.
Topic: the evolution of a queen
Total Posts: 98

-(kf_w)-thor

QUEENS ROCK!! but how do they evolve from a ordinary servant? a queen egg? and how do they evolve to queen mothers and empresses? a documentary.....

TheBlackCat

Occording to the comics and books, a queen can either come from a queen egg which hatches into a queen facehugger, or develop from a drone if there is no queen present in a hive (for instance if the queen is killed). Queen mothers (queens of queens) are the result of a queen chestburster developing in the presence of queen mother royal jelly.

SM

Going by the films Queens come from ordinary facehuggers. Whether these eggs are somehow different is not known.

The Preatorian Essay by Elite Guard and Bum Burster touches briefly on Queen creation using the 'Praetorian as nascent Queen' line.

_Ccx

In They May Be Gods story by Anise queen reprogramed her drones to become queens. I know that somebody doesn't treat stories as well as other things about aliens, but this one become base for the largest story about aliens i know.

Anise

Thanks for the comments on TMBG.

In my story any drone can moult to a queen so long as there is no other queen within (a considerable) detectable distance. This prevents queens being to close to each other (usually a planet or two between them, hehehe) and also allows the species to repropogate in the event of them being wiped down to one drone.

Anise.

Prezes

One of the reasons I like the species is for its abnormal behaviour patterns....

But, the 'nomal' is defined by what we can find here on Earth. One can find similareties between single aspects of behaiour and individual species from our planet.

The key is of numbers, how many colonies develop in a given area? If a number then you have alot of Queens on a single planet, therefore the evolution of a Queen is quite common.
Another one, is of the life span of a Queen, do they lay eggs for a few months and die? Or do the live for hundreds of years?

AlienSlof

Well, in my Diary of a Xeno series, my sentient Queen S'liithy is currently almost 3 years old and has had several laying seasons, and is about to undergo another moult!

In Anise's They Once Were Gods, she is the equivalent of 600 earth years old, with no idea how long her natural lifespan is - she just lives each day as it comes and rules over a vast empire of queens, most of which are her own daughters and granddaughters!

Prezes

My point is that if the Queens live and lay eggs for a long time, then you should find that new Queens develop/are born infrequently.

Aliens don't seem to be a species that would tolerate numerous Queens in a small space for long periods of time, so there can't be to many news Queens poping up all the time....

Cliff

Well I've we go by the books then there is the drone ro queen and the queen egg. As far as I can tell in Aliens: Nightmare Assylum when the queen left atmosfeer the aliens started going crazy (because no queen). But in Earth Hive the Queen Mother was able to affect humans on Earth from Hiveworld. So I guess queens rule over a single hive while QM rule over whole solarsystems but for what reason I don't know.

But i think queens live for hundreds of years since the alien reproductive system doesn't allow genetic selection (and if a genetic diffrence arrives think Genocide). So having a new queen every few years is a waste.

Seikken53

i have never read anises long stories.. i frankly havent had teh time.. i feel ashamed... and i also feel the frostbite in my finges... bad karma?

NiteStalker

they would probably justkeep evolving, in the same manner as they came up from chestburster - moulting and getting bigger. the longer a queen would live, the more intelligent and powerful she would be. it makes sense that only the strongest and smartest of the queens would be worthy of becoming a queen mother (wouldnt want to corrupt a perfect genepool), and the easiest way to prove that would simply be SURVIVING!!! after a long while, a queen might moult again and become the queen mother, so she can spread her excellent survivor instinct over the planet, even galaxy, instead of just a small area of a single planet. they are very much a survivor species, and that would be extremely good for them.

Cliff

Quote:
and the easiest way to prove that would simply be SURVIVING

So it would sound that you believe that in the aliens natural enviroment they are at the bottum of the food chain. This is highly possible since in neither the comics or movies have we seen there homeworld.

Quote:
spread her excellent survivor instinct over the planet

A good theory that makes a lot of sense. The queen become smarter the older they get and by the time they become a QM they have some pretty good survivor instinct.

NiteStalker

thanx cliff. i figure that the only reason a creature would evolve into something as hostile and vicious as the xenos is if it had a lot of competition or natural predators - they had to adapt to survive in an extremely hostile environment. of course, this theory means that the creatures were NOT created, as some people reckon. but hey - who can say whos right or wrong with a completely fictitious creature?

Anise

It's unlikely that the aliens evolved from some weak creature into the marauding killers we know and love. They are obviously born killers. They have claws, they are meat eaters, they (for the most part) walk upright. They are fast, mean tempered and sod all stands in their way. If you go by survival of the fittest, they are and always have been top of the food chain. You don't get to that position by starting life as a herbivore. You get there by being the meanest b**tard on the block right from the off

NiteStalker

Not all predators are on the top of there food chain, and not all herbivores are on the bottom. there are some herbivores in real life that no pred mess with - theyre just not worth the risk. and as we have not seen the bugs home world, whos to say there isnt something nastier on that planet than the aliens?
aliens can get from planet to planet beacuse unsuspecting hosts could travel to the new planet, then the chestburster moults into a queen and does the whole hive thing. an alien's natural predator might not (and probably wouldnt) start off parasitical like a xeno, so they wouldnt be able to follow tham, explaining why we havent seen them. just remember - there's always a bigger fish.
im not saying they got there asses kicked regularly, just that they would have had to have it pretty hard to evolve into what they are now. prey would have to be tough, and it would adapt or die out. obviously they eat and impregnate something, so it must have adapted. therefore it got tougher. then the bugs would have done the same, then the prey, and so on. And if the alien DOES have natural predators, they would be adapting against the new improved xenos. and the xenos would be adapting against those preds as well as the prey. its called the Red Queen, after alice in wonderland - the Red Queen said to alice that you have to run as fast as you can to stay in the same place. its the same thing - they evolve so theyre better, but they end up still where they started.

Cliff

Quote:
It's unlikely that the aliens evolved from some weak creature into the marauding killers we know and love.

Who said they were weak? Perhaps compared to the creatures on their own planet they could be weak but against humans they are quite deadly.

AlienSlof

Quote:
i have never read anises long stories.. i frankly havent had teh time.. i feel ashamed... and i also feel the frostbite in my finges... bad karma?

They are all up on my webby - if you get time, give them a read as they are well worth the effort.

Skar'ku_Mar'kel-ja

been there done that sloffy. you had better mke some time. they aren't half bad at all
although i perfer your writting style much better

Its gameover man

well going by the movies according to ridly scoot creator of alien aliens and predator aliens were the absolute perfect species. and as u remeber in the first aliens movie they had to investigate a ship wich was known to be alien my guess is that some far off planet these aliens are cover that plaent top to bottom and the ones we saw are there cuase these other planet travelers crashed on L.V a long time ago far from the alien home planet i dont know much about the comics but i got the movies pretty much coverd

TheBlackCat

The real reason I think aliens are not at the top of the food chain on their planet is simply that they reproduce too quickly. If they were the top of the food chain on their home planet they would have wiped out all life on that planet quickly, as they seem to do on planets with no natural predators for them. There almost has to be something eating them in order to keep their numbers in check.

It is possible that their method of reproduction is not so succesful on their home planet, and that creatures have developed methods to prevent implantation in many cases. Or perhaps facehuggers and eggs are easily destroyed by small creatures or disease, but once they get full grown they are at the top of their food chain (sort of like jellyfish, infant jellyfish are killed easily, but adults are much closer to the top of the food chain). So adult aliens might be at the top of the food chain, but I personally think it is much more likely that they are not.

All copyrights and trademarks belong to their respective owners. This site is for the promotion of selected material, no infringements are intended. All reasonable efforts have been taken to credit the respective owners and/or authors.

AbsoluteGamerzNetwork

Cookie Policy | Privacy Policy

(AA || f7d2eda6bf50aaba4d00c924bf862873)